Thursday, September 29, 2011

Huck Finn Chap 38-the end

     So I have to admit that I didn't really like the ending of this book.  Don't get me wrong though I'm glad Jim is free but Tom just annoyed me to no end during the last few chapters of this book.  I felt so bad for Jim during chapter 39 when Tom insists on putting spiders, mice, and snakes in his tiny cabin with him for no apparent reason.  It would torture any normal person but it especially bothers Jim since he is so superstitious.  Tom is simply unable to focus on someone else for any real period of time.  This is evident when Huck says, "....Tom most lost all patience with him; and said he was just loadened down with more gaudier chances than a prisoner ever had in the world to make a name for himself, and yet he didn't know enough to appreciate them."  Tom makes Jim's experience so much worse that Jim swears if he ever gets out he will never be a prisoner again, not even for money.
     In chapter 40, Jim almost escapes but Tom gets shot in the leg setting everything back.  Naturally, the doctor ties up Jim and turns him in as a runaway after he helps heal Tom and probably saves his life.  Because he did this good dead however, the doctor encourages the farmers to treat him no worse than they see fit (chapter 42).  Through this scene, it is obvious that no matter what slaves did they were never viewed as humans or anyone that deserved anything.  It is important to note that no matter what the farmers did to Jim, he never even considered turning Huck in.  He remains loyal to him the entire time (like a dad) even when it hurts.
     Tom surprised me in the end when he wakes up and hears that they have Jim tied up again.  He becomes extremely upset and demands that they untie him and set him free because he is legally free by Mrs. Watson.  This part also angered me because Tom was aware of his freedom the entire time but still insisted that they carry out the adventure of setting him free.  Tom used the entire situation to his benefit no matter what it meant to those around him.
     The last line or two is also very important in this work: "But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize me and I can't stand it.  I been there before."  It is obvious through this statement that Huck does not want to be a part of the slavery ridden, religious civilization anymore.  He wants a fresh start somewhere far away where there is room for him to be his own man and have his own adventures and that somewhere is the beginnings of the wild west.

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree with your statement, about Tom being an annoying character. I also was glad when the book was over, because I personally did not like how the book ended also.

    ReplyDelete